distributive(redirected from distributives)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. Of, relating to, or involving distribution.
b. Serving to distribute.
2. Mathematics Of or relating to a property involving two binary operations, usually multiplication and addition, in which the product of an element with a sum of terms is equal to the sum of the individual products of that element with each term. That is, if a × (b + c) = a × b + a × c, then the operation indicated by × is distributive over the operation indicated by +.
3. Grammar Referring to each individual or entity of a group separately rather than collectively, as every in the sentence Every employee attended the meeting.
A distributive word or term.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. characterized by or relating to distribution
2. (Grammar) grammar referring separately to the individual people or items in a group, as the words each and every
3. (Grammar) grammar a distributive word
4. (Mathematics) maths able to be distributed: multiplication is distributive over addition.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
dis•trib•u•tive(dɪˈstrɪb yə tɪv)
1. serving to distribute, assign, or divide; characterized by or pertaining to distribution.
2. referring to the members of a group individually, as the adjectives each and every.
3. Logic. (of a term) distributed in a given logical proposition.
a. (of a binary operation) having the property that terms in an expression may be expanded in a particular way to form an equivalent expression, as a(b + c) =ab + ac.
b. having reference to this property: the distributive law for multiplication over addition.
5. a distributive expression.
[1425–75; < Middle French < Late Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||distributive - serving to distribute or allot or disperse|
distributed - spread out or scattered about or divided up
divided - separated into parts or pieces; "opinions are divided"
collective - forming a whole or aggregate
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → distributivo
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → distributiv
n → Distributivum nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
distributive[dɪsˈtrɪbjʊtɪv] adj (Comm, Gram) → distributivo/a
distributive law (Math) → legge f di distribuzione
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995