Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A long backless sofa, especially one set with pillows against a wall.
2. (also dī-văn′)
a. A counting room, tribunal, or public audience room in Muslim countries.
b. The seat used by an administrator when holding audience.
c. A government bureau or council chamber.
3. (also dī-văn′) A coffeehouse or smoking room.
4. (also dī-văn′) A book of poems, especially one written in Arabic or Persian by a single author.
[French, from Ottoman Turkish dīvān, from Persian, archive, chancery, government office, poet's divan, from Middle Persian dīwān, collection of documents, archive, from Old Persian *dipivahanam, document house : dipi-, writing, inscription (from Akkadian ṭuppu, clay tablet for cuneiform writing, from Sumerian dub) + vahanam, house; see wes- in Indo-European roots.]
nAlso called (for senses 2–5): diwan
a. a backless sofa or couch, designed to be set against a wall
b. a bed resembling such a couch
2. (esp formerly) a room for smoking and drinking, as in a coffee shop
a. a Muslim law court, council chamber, or counting house
b. a Muslim council of state
4. (Poetry) a collection of poems
5. (Islam) (in Muslim law) an account book
[C16: from Turkish dīvān, from Persian dīwān]
di•van(dɪˈvæn, -ˈvɑn or, esp. for 1, ˈdaɪ væn)
1. a sofa or couch, usu. without arms or back, often usable as a bed.
2. (in Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries)
a. a council of state.
b. a council chamber, audience room, or court.
3. a smoking room, as in connection with a tobacco shop.
4. a collection of Persian or Arabic poems, esp. by a single poet.
[1580–90; < Turkish < Persian dīwān, orig. dēvan booklet]
Divanan oriental council of state; a collection of sheets, hence, a collection of poems; a register of accounts; an assembly—Johnson, 1775.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||divan - a long backless sofa (usually with pillows against a wall)|
|2.||divan - a Muslim council of state|
privy council - an advisory council to a ruler (especially to the British Crown)
|3.||divan - a collection of Persian or Arabic poems (usually by one author)|
anthology - a collection of selected literary passages
|4.||divan - a Muslim council chamber or law court|
boardroom, council chamber - a room where a committee meets (such as the board of directors of a company)
chamber - a room where a judge transacts business
divan(diˈvӕn) , ((American) ˈdaivӕn) noun
a long, low couch without back or arms, usually able to be used as a bed. divan, sofa ديوان، أريكَه диван divã divan der Diwan briks; divan ντιβάνιdiván kušett کاناپه divaani divanספה दीवान, सोफा sofa, kauč dívány dipan legubekkur, dívan divano 長いす (팔걸이나 등받이가 없는) 긴 쿠션 의자 tachta kušete katil dipan divandivan otomana ديوان، كوچ، هغه اوږده چوكۍ چه هم پركښينى او هم پرغزيږى divA divan тахта diván divan divan divan เบาะรองนั่งยาว divan, sedir 無靠背或扶手的長沙發(常指沙發床) низький диван, тахта دیوان، دیوار کے سہارے بچھے ہوئی لمبی گدّے دار نشست trường kỷ 可用作床的长沙发