Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
1. Separated into parts or pieces.
2. Being in a state of disagreement or disunity: a divided nation.
3. Moved by conflicting interests, emotions, or activities: divided loyalties.
4. Separated by distance: a child divided from her familiar surroundings.
5. Having the lanes for opposing traffic separated: divided highways.
6. Botany Having indentations extending to the midrib or base and forming distinct lobes: divided leaves.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.