Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dodger: Artful Dodger
1. One that dodges or evades: a skilled dodger of reporters' questions.
2. A shifty, dishonest person; a trickster.
3. A small printed handbill.
4. Nautical A lightweight structure, as of canvas stretched over a frame, that partly screens a hatch or companionway from wind and spray.
5. Chiefly Southern Atlantic US See corn dodger.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person who evades or shirks
2. a shifty dishonest person
3. (Nautical Terms) a canvas shelter, mounted on a ship's bridge or over the companionway of a sailing yacht to protect the helmsman from bad weather
4. (Historical Terms) archaic US and Austral a handbill
5. (Cookery) informal Austral food, esp bread
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person who dodges.
2. a shifty person, esp. one who persistently evades a responsibility, as specified: tax dodger.
3. a small handbill; throwaway.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dodger - a shifty deceptive person|
|2.||dodger - small oval cake of corn bread baked or fried (chiefly southern)|
cornbread - bread made primarily of cornmeal
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
dodger[ˈdɒdʒəʳ] N (= trickster) → tunante/a m/f, gandul mf
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007