Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A policy aimed at furthering the interests of the United States abroad by encouraging the investment of US capital in foreign countries.
2. A policy intended to safeguard a nation's foreign investments.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a foreign policy that encourages and protects capital investment and commercial and financial involvement abroad
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) use of financial power as a diplomatic weapon
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a government policy of promoting the business interests of its citizens in other countries.
2. diplomacy or foreign relations strengthened by well-publicized aid to a country, as in the form of food, medicine, machinery, and extensive credit.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.