Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A policy aimed at furthering the interests of the United States abroad by encouraging the investment of US capital in foreign countries.
2. A policy intended to safeguard a nation's foreign investments.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a foreign policy that encourages and protects capital investment and commercial and financial involvement abroad
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) use of financial power as a diplomatic weapon
1. a government policy of promoting the business interests of its citizens in other countries.
2. diplomacy or foreign relations strengthened by well-publicized aid to a country, as in the form of food, medicine, machinery, and extensive credit.