dolly(redirected from dollied)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. dol·lies
1. Informal A child's doll.
a. A low mobile platform that rolls on casters, used for transporting heavy loads.
b. Such a platform as used by one working underneath a motor vehicle.
c. A hand truck.
a. A wheeled apparatus used to transport a movie camera steadily along the ground or along a track.
b. A movie shot made by a camera moving steadily on a dolly; a tracking shot.
4. A small locomotive, as for use in a railroad yard or on a construction site.
5. A wooden implement for stirring clothes in a washtub.
6. A tool used to hold one end of a rivet while the opposite end is being hammered to form a head.
7. A small piece of wood or metal placed on the head of a pile to prevent damage to the pile while it is being driven.
intr.v. dol·lied, dol·ly·ing, dol·lies
To move a dolly in a specified direction: The camera dollied left, keeping the actors in the frame.
n, pl -lies
1. a child's word for a doll
2. (Film) films television a wheeled support on which a camera may be mounted
3. (Tools) a cup-shaped anvil held against the head of a rivet while the other end is being hammered
4. (Tools) a shaped block of lead used to hammer dents out of sheet metal
5. (Mechanical Engineering) a distance piece placed between the head of a pile and the pile-driver to form an extension to the length of the pile
6. (Cricket) cricket a simple catch
7. slang chiefly Also called: dolly bird or dollybird Brit an attractive and fashionable girl, esp one who is considered to be unintelligent
vb, -lies, -lying or -lied
(Film) films television to wheel (a camera) backwards or forwards on a dolly
n., pl. dol•lies, n.
1. Informal. a doll.
2. a low truck or cart with small wheels for moving heavy loads.
3. a small wheeled platform, usu. having a short boom, on which a movie or television camera can be mounted for making moving shots.
4. a tool for receiving and holding the head of a rivet while the other end is being headed.
5. a small locomotive operating on narrow-gauge tracks.v.t.
6. to transport or convey (a camera) by means of a dolly.v.i.
7. to move a camera on a dolly, esp. toward or away from the subject being filmed or televised (often fol. by in or out): to dolly in for a close-up.
Airborne data link equipment.
Past participle: dollied
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dolly - conveyance consisting of a wheeled support on which a camera can be mounted|
|2.||dolly - conveyance consisting of a wheeled platform for moving heavy objects|
|3.||dolly - a small replica of a person; used as a toy|
kachina - a carved doll wearing the costume of a particular Pueblo spirit; usually presented to a child as a gift
paper doll - a piece of paper cut or folded into the shape of a human being
puppet - a doll with a hollow head of a person or animal and a cloth body; intended to fit over the hand and be manipulated with the fingers
rag doll - a cloth doll that is stuffed and (usually) painted
sawdust doll - a doll that is stuffed with sawdust
toy soldier - a doll that resembles a soldier
(inf: = doll) → Püppchen nt
(= wheeled frame) → (Transport)wagen m; (Film, TV) → Dolly m, → Kamerawagen m; (Rail) → Schmalspurrangierlokomotive f
(for washing clothes) → Wäschestampfer m
(Tech, for rivet) → Gegenhalter m
(inf: = girl) → Puppe f
dolly[ˈdɒlɪ] n (fam) → bambola
dolly(ˈdoli) – plural ˈdollies – noun
a child's word for a doll. poppie دُمْيَه (بِلَهْجَةِ الأطفال) кукличка boneca panenka das Püppchen dukke κουκλίτσα muñeca nuku عروسک به زبان کودکانه nukke poupéeבבה गुड़िया के लिए बच्चों के द्वारा उपयोग होने वाला शब्द, डॉली, डौली lutkica babácska boneka dúkka, brúða bambola 人形 인형 lėlytė lellīte patung popjedokke laleczka ناوكۍ (دماشومانو په ژبه) يوه كوچنۍ عراده چه درانه بارونه وړى: څوباړى، يو ډول لرګى دى چه دمينځلو په وخت كى كالى په ټكوى boneca păpuşă куколка bábika lutkica lutka docka ตุ๊กตา (ภาษาเด็ก) bebek (兒語)玩具娃娃 лялечка بچوں کی زبان میں گڑيا búp bê （儿语）玩具娃娃