Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. dolphin or dol·phins
a. Any of various marine toothed whales of the family Delphinidae, having a beaklike snout, a curved dorsal fin, and a slender streamlined body.
b. Any of several toothed whales inhabiting rivers and estuaries in South America and South Asia, having a long narrow beak, broad flippers, a flexible neck, and usually a reduced dorsal fin. A species native to the Yangtze River is thought to be extinct. Also called river dolphin.
a. A buoy, pile, or group of piles used for mooring boats.
b. A group of piles used as a fender, as at a dock or around a bridge pier.
[Middle English, from Old French daulfin, blend of daufin and Old Provençal dalfin, both from Medieval Latin *dalfinus, from Latin delphīnus, from Greek delphīs, delphīn-, from delphus, womb (from its shape).]
1. (Animals) any of various marine cetacean mammals of the family Delphinidae, esp Delphinus delphis, that are typically smaller than whales and larger than porpoises and have a beaklike snout
2. (Animals) river dolphin any freshwater cetacean of the family Platanistidae, inhabiting rivers of North and South America and S Asia. They are smaller than marine dolphins and have a longer narrower snout
3. (Animals) Also called: dorado either of two large marine percoid fishes, Coryphaena hippurus or C. equisetis, that resemble the cetacean dolphins and have an iridescent coloration
4. (Nautical Terms) nautical a post or buoy for mooring a vessel
[C13: from Old French dauphin, via Latin, from Greek delphin-, delphis]
dol•phin(ˈdɒl fɪn, ˈdɔl-)
1. any small toothed cetacean of the family Delphinidae, esp. the species having a beaklike snout. Compare porpoise.
2. Also called dolphinfish , mahimahi. either of two large, slender fishes, Coryphaena hippurus or C. equisetis, of warm and temperate seas.
a. a pile, cluster of piles, or buoy to which a vessel may be moored.
b. a cluster of piles used as a fender, as at the entrance to a dock.
4. (cap.) the constellation Delphinus.
[1300–50; Middle English dolphyn < Old French daulphin « Latin delphīnus < Greek delphin]
1. Any of various, usually ocean-dwelling mammals having a snout shaped like a beak, forelimbs shaped like flippers, and horizontal tail flukes. Dolphins are related to but smaller than whales and are noted for their high intelligence. Compare porpoise.
2. Either of two edible fish that inhabit warm sea waters and have a fin extending along the back. Dolphins are iridescent when removed from the water.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dolphin - large slender food and game fish widely distributed in warm seas (especially around Hawaii)|
Coryphaena hippurus - the more common dolphinfish valued as food; about six feet long
Coryphaena equisetis - a kind of dolphinfish
dolphinfish, mahimahi - the lean flesh of a saltwater fish found in warm waters (especially in Hawaii)
|2.||dolphin - any of various small toothed whales with a beaklike snout; larger than porpoises|
toothed whale - any of several whales having simple conical teeth and feeding on fish etc.
bottlenose, bottlenose dolphin, bottle-nosed dolphin - any of several dolphins with rounded forehead and well-developed beak; chiefly of northern Atlantic and Mediterranean
porpoise - any of several small gregarious cetacean mammals having a blunt snout and many teeth
killer whale, orca, Orcinus orca, sea wolf, grampus, killer - predatory black-and-white toothed whale with large dorsal fin; common in cold seas
black whale, common blackfish, Globicephala melaena, pilot whale, blackfish - small dark-colored whale of the Atlantic coast of the United States; the largest male acts as pilot or leader for the school
river dolphin - any of several long-snouted usually freshwater dolphins of South America and southern Asia
Related wordssee whales and dolphins
collective noun school
collective noun school
dolphin[ˈdɒlfɪn] N → delfín m
dolphin[ˈdɒlfɪn] n → dauphin m
dolphin[ˈdɒlfɪn] n (Zool) → delfino
a type of sea-animal about two and a half to three metres long, closely related to the porpoise. dolfyn دولْفين делфин golfinho delfín der Delphin delfin δελφίνιdelfín delfiin دلفین delfiini dauphinדולפין सूंस, एक स्तनधारी समुद्री जन्तु dupin delfin lumba-lumba höfrungur delfino いるか 돌고래 delfinas delfīns ikan lumba-lumba dolfijn delfindelfin يوډول ماهى چه نهنګ ته ورته وى golfinho delfin дельфин delfín delfin delfin delfin ปลาโลมา yunus balığı 海豚 дельфін ڈالفن cá heo 海豚