dominated(redirected from dominatedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. dom·i·nat·ed, dom·i·nat·ing, dom·i·nates
1. To control, govern, or rule by superior authority or power: Successful leaders dominate events rather than react to them.
2. To exert a supreme, guiding influence on or over: Ambition dominated their lives.
a. To enjoy a commanding, controlling position in: a drug company that dominates the tranquilizer market.
b. To be the most abundant in: Grasses dominate most salt marshes.
4. To overlook from a height: a view from the cliffside chalet that dominates the valley.
1. To have or exert strong authority or mastery.
2. To be situated in or occupy a position that is more elevated or decidedly superior to others.
3. To be predominant in an ecosystem.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||dominated - controlled or ruled by superior authority or power|
controlled - restrained or managed or kept within certain bounds; "controlled emotions"; "the controlled release of water from reservoirs"
|2.||dominated - harassed by persistent nagging|
submissive - inclined or willing to submit to orders or wishes of others or showing such inclination; "submissive servants"; "a submissive reply"; "replacing troublemakers with more submissive people"