transom(redirected from door transom)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A horizontal crosspiece over a door or between a door and a window above it.
b. A small hinged window above a door or another window.
2. A horizontal dividing bar of wood or stone in a window.
3. A lintel.
a. The stern of a square-sterned boat or ship.
b. Any of several transverse beams affixed to the sternpost of a wooden ship and forming part of the stern.
c. The aftermost transverse structural member in a steel ship, including the floor, frame, and beam assembly at the sternpost.
5. The horizontal beam on a cross or gallows.
over the transom
Without being agreed to; unsolicited: They even publish a few manuscripts that come in over the transom.
[Middle English traunsom, probably alteration of Latin trānstrum, cross-beam, from trāns, across; see trans-.]
1. (Building) Also called: traverse a horizontal member across a window. Compare mullion
2. (Building) a horizontal member that separates a door from a window over it
3. (Building) the usual US name for fanlight
4. (Nautical Terms) nautical
a. a surface forming the stern of a vessel, either vertical or canted either forwards (reverse transom) or aft at the upper side
b. any of several transverse beams used for strengthening the stern of a vessel
[C14: earlier traversayn, from Old French traversin, from traverse]
1. a crosspiece separating a door or the like from a window or fanlight above it.
2. a window above such a crosspiece.
3. a crossbar dividing a window horizontally.
a. a flat termination to the stern of a ship, above the water line.
b. any of the transverse beams attached to the sternpost of a ship that strengthen the stern.
[1325–75; late Middle English traunsum, traunsom, Middle English transyn, probably alter. of traversayn < Old French traversin crosspiece, derivative of travers breadth; see traverse]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||transom - a window above a door that is usually hinged to a horizontal crosspiece over the door|
window - a framework of wood or metal that contains a glass windowpane and is built into a wall or roof to admit light or air
|2.||transom - a horizontal crosspiece across a window or separating a door from a window over it|
crosspiece - a transverse brace