mating(redirected from double mating)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to double mating: Mating effort
1. One of a matched pair: the mate to this glove.
2. A spouse or romantic partner.
a. Either of a pair of birds or other animals that associate in order to propagate.
b. Either of a pair of animals brought together for breeding.
c. Either of a pair of plants, fungi, or other organisms that engage in sexual reproduction or conjugation with each other.
a. A person with whom one is in close association; an associate.
b. Chiefly British A good friend or companion.
c. A person with whom one shares living quarters. Often used in combination: advertised for a new flatmate.
5. A deck officer on a merchant ship ranking next below the master.
6. A US Navy petty officer who is an assistant to a warrant officer.
v. mat·ed, mat·ing, mates
1. To join closely or combine: an engine that is mated to a four-speed transmission.
2. To cause to be united in marriage or a romantic sexual relationship.
3. To cause (organisms) to breed or bring (organisms) into close proximity for breeding.
1. To become joined in marriage or a romantic sexual relationship.
a. To be paired for reproducing; breed.
b. To engage in sexual reproduction or conjugation.
[Middle English, from Middle Low German gemate, mate, messmate.]
tr. & intr.v. mat·ed, mat·ing, mates
To checkmate or achieve a checkmate.
[Middle English, from Old French mat, checkmated, from Arabic māt, he has died; see checkmate.]
bombilla (foreground) and mate cup(background)
ma·te 3(mä′tā) also ma·té (mä-tĕ′)
1. An evergreen shrub or small tree (Ilex paraguariensis) of South America, widely cultivated for its leaves, which are used to prepare a tealike beverage.
2. A tealike beverage, popular in South America, made from the dried leaves of this plant. Also called Paraguay tea, yerba mate.
3. An oval or rounded container or cup, traditionally made from a hollow calabash, in which this tea is prepared and served.
[American Spanish, from Quechua mati, calabash container.]
1. (Zoology) the action of pairing for reproduction
2. (Chess & Draughts) chess the action of checkmating
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mating - the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes; "the casual couplings of adolescents"; "the mating of some species occurs only in the spring"|
sex activity, sexual activity, sexual practice - activities associated with sexual intercourse; "they had sex in the back seat"
assortative mating - mating of individuals having more traits in common than likely in random mating
disassortative mating - mating of individuals having traits more dissimilar than likely in random mating
hybridisation, hybridization, hybridizing, interbreeding, crossbreeding, crossing, cross - (genetics) the act of mixing different species or varieties of animals or plants and thus to produce hybrids
inbreeding - the act of mating closely related individuals
1. n → accoppiamento
2. adj → dell'accoppiamento
n. emparejamiento de sexos opuestos esp. para la reproducción.