protrusion(redirected from double protrusion)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
a. The act of protruding.
b. The state of being protruded.
2. Something that protrudes.
[Latin prōtrūsus, past participle of prōtrūdere, to protrude; see protrude + -ion.]
1. something that protrudes
2. the state or condition of being protruded
3. the act or process of protruding
pro•tru•sion(proʊˈtru ʒən, prə-)
1. the act of protruding or the state of being protruded.
2. something that protrudes; projection.
- Bulges out like bubble gum before popping —Tom Robbins
- Protruding like a warning finger —Beryl Markham
- [A church spire] standing out conspicuously like an indicating finger —MacDonald Harris
- Standing out unnaturally, like a male harpist in an all-girl orchestra —William Safire
- Stand out like a blind man at a tit show —William Diehl
- Stand out like a polar bear in the desert —Andrew Kaplan
- Stand out like a raisin on a coconut cake —Pat Conroy
- Stands out like a blackberry in a pan of milk —American colloquialism, attributed to Vermont
- Stick out like a bug on a butter knife —Loren D. Estleman
- Sticks out like the belly of a pregnant woman —Robert Lowell
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||protrusion - something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings; "the gun in his pocket made an obvious bulge"; "the hump of a camel"; "he stood on the rocky prominence"; "the occipital protuberance was well developed"; "the bony excrescence between its horns"|
excrescence, extrusion, gibbosity, gibbousness, hump, jut, bulge, protuberance, swelling, bump, prominence
frontal eminence - either prominence of the frontal bone above each orbit
occipital protuberance - prominence on the outer surface of the occipital bone
belly - a part that bulges deeply; "the belly of a sail"
caput - a headlike protuberance on an organ or structure; "the caput humeri is the head of the humerus which fits into a cavity in the scapula"
mogul - a bump on a ski slope
snag - a sharp protuberance
wart - any small rounded protuberance (as on certain plants or animals)
projection - any solid convex shape that juts out from something
|2.||protrusion - the act of projecting out from something|
change of shape - an action that changes the shape of something