Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various widely distributed birds of the family Columbidae, which includes the pigeons, having a small head and a characteristic cooing call.
2. A gentle, innocent person.
3. A person who advocates peace, conciliation, or negotiation in preference to confrontation or armed conflict.
[Middle English douve, from Old English *dūfe.]
A past tense of dive1. See Usage Note at dive1.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any of various birds of the family Columbidae, having a heavy body, small head, short legs, and long pointed wings: order Columbiformes. They are typically smaller than pigeons.
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) politics a person opposed to war. Compare hawk13
3. a gentle or innocent person: used as a term of endearment
a. a greyish-brown colour
b. (as adjective): dove walls.
[Old English dūfe (unattested except as a feminine proper name); related to Old Saxon dūbva, Old High German tūba]
ˈdovish, ˈdoveish adj
chiefly US a past tense of dive
(Ecclesiastical Terms) the Dove Christianity a manifestation of the Holy Spirit (John 1:32)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any bird of the family Columbidae, esp. the smaller species with pointed tails. Compare pigeon (def. 1).
2. a pure white member of this species, used as a symbol of innocence, gentleness, and peace.
3. (cap.) a symbol for the Holy Ghost.
4. a person who advocates peace or a conciliatory national attitude.
5. an innocent or gentle person.
6. a warm gray color.
[1150–1200; Middle English; Old English dūfe- (in dūfedoppa pelican)]
dove′like`, dov′ish, adj.
a pt. of dive.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dove - any of numerous small pigeons |
pigeon - wild and domesticated birds having a heavy body and short legs
turtledove - any of several Old World wild doves
|2.||dove - someone who prefers negotiations to armed conflict in the conduct of foreign relations|
|3.||Dove - a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Puppis and Caelum|
|4.||dove - flesh of a pigeon suitable for roasting or braising; flesh of a dove (young squab) may be broiled|
domestic pigeon - domesticated pigeon raised for sport or food
poultry - flesh of chickens or turkeys or ducks or geese raised for food
|5.||dove - an emblem of peace|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
chim bồ câu
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
dove-coloured, (US) dove-colored
adj → taubenblau
n → Taubenschlag m
adj → taubengrau
n (lit, fig) → Taube f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a kind of pigeon. duif حَمامَه гълъб rola holub die Taube due περιστέριpaloma tuvi قمری kyyhky colombeיונה फाख्ता golubica galamb merpati dúfa colomba はと 비둘기 balandis balodis burung merpati duifduegołąb كوتره: كټمير (قمرى rola porumbel голубь holub, -ica golob golubica duva นกพิราบ kumru 和平鴿 голуб فاختہ bồ câu 鸽，小野鸽
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
dove→ يـَمَامَة holubice due Taube περιστέρι paloma, palomo kyyhkynen colombe grlica colomba ハト 비둘기 duif due gołębica pombo голубь duva นกพิราบ beyaz güvercin chim bồ câu 鸽子
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009