Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A depressant or sedative drug, such as a barbiturate or tranquilizer.
2. One that depresses, such as an experience or person.
Unable to stand because of disease or sometimes injury. Used of livestock.
1. (Recreational Drugs) Also called: down a barbiturate, tranquillizer, or narcotic. Compare upper
2. a depressing experience
3. (Psychology) a state of depression: he's on a downer today.
1. a depressing experience or person.
2. a depressant or sedative drug, esp. a barbiturate.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||downer - a drug that reduces excitability and calms a person|
chloral hydrate - a colorless crystalline drug used as a sedative; irritates the stomach and can be addictive
drug of abuse, street drug - a drug that is taken for nonmedicinal reasons (usually for mind-altering effects); drug abuse can lead to physical and mental damage and (with some substances) dependence and addiction
medicament, medication, medicinal drug, medicine - (medicine) something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease