Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to downwind: downwind leg
In the direction in which the wind blows.
1. (Physical Geography) in the same direction towards which the wind is blowing; with the wind from behind
2. (Physical Geography) towards or on the side away from the wind; leeward
1. in the direction toward which the wind is blowing.
2. on or toward the lee side.adj.
3. moving or situated downwind.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||downwind - towards the side away from the wind|
leeward - on the side away from the wind; "on the leeward side of the island"
|Adv.||1.||downwind - with the wind; in the direction the wind is blowing; "they flew downwind"|
|2.||downwind - away from the wind; "they were sailing windward"|