Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various plant diseases caused by oomycetes and characterized by whitish gray patches of spores on the lower surfaces of leaves.
2. An oomycete causing such a disease.
1. (Plant Pathology) a serious plant disease, characterized by yellowish patches on the undersurface of the leaves, caused by the parasitic fungi of the family Peronosporaceae, such as Peronospora destructor: affects onions, cauliflower, lettuce, etc
2. (Plant Pathology) any of the fungi causing this disease
1. any common fungus of the family Peronosporaceae, appearing on damp vegetable or animal matter as a white fuzzy mass of spores.
2. a disease of plants caused by growth of downy mildew on the undersurface of the leaves, characterized by crumpling, yellowing, and death of the foliage.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||downy mildew - any of various fungi of the family Peronosporaceae parasitic on e.g. grapes and potatoes and melons|
blue mold fungus, Peronospora tabacina - fungus causing a serious disease in tobacco plants characterized by bluish-grey mildew on undersides of leaves
mildew - a fungus that produces a superficial (usually white) growth on organic matter