drained(redirected from drainedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
v. drained, drain·ing, drains
1. To draw off (a liquid) by a gradual process: drained water from the sink.
a. To cause liquid to go out from; empty: drained the bathtub; drain the pond.
b. To draw off the surface water of: The Mississippi River drains a vast area.
3. To drink all the contents of: drained the cup.
a. To cause (a resource or supply of something) to be used up gradually and often completely. See Synonyms at deplete.
b. To fatigue or spend emotionally or physically: The day's events drained me of energy.
5. Sports To put (a ball or shot) into a hole or basket, as in golf or basketball: drained the putt for a birdie.
1. To flow off or out: Gasoline drained slowly from the tilted can.
2. To become empty by the drawing off of liquid: watched the tub slowly drain.
3. To discharge surface or excess water: The Niagara River drains into Lake Ontario. When flooded, the swamp drains northward.
4. To become gradually depleted; dwindle: felt his enthusiasm draining.
1. A pipe or channel by which liquid is drawn off.
2. Medicine A device, such as a tube, inserted into the opening of a wound or body cavity to facilitate discharge of fluid or purulent material.
3. The act or process of draining.
a. A gradual outflow or loss; consumption or depletion: the drain of young talent by emigration.
b. Something that causes a gradual loss: interruptions that are a drain on my patience.
down the drain
To or into the condition of being wasted or lost: All of our best laid plans are down the drain.
[Middle English dreinen, to strain, drain, from Old English drēahnian.]
worn out; exhausted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||drained - emptied or exhausted of (as by drawing off e.g. water or other liquid); "a drained marsh"; "a drained tank"; "a drained and apathetic old man...not caring any longer about anything"|
undrained - not drained; "preserve wetlands; keep them undrained"
|2.||drained - very tired|
Britain, Great Britain, U.K., UK, United Kingdom, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland - a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; `Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom
tired - depleted of strength or energy; "tired mothers with crying babies"; "too tired to eat"
|3.||drained - drained of electric charge; discharged; "a dead battery"; "left the lights on and came back to find the battery drained"|
uncharged - of a particle or body or system; having no charge; "an uncharged particle"; "an uncharged battery"