Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to dropout: dropout voltage
a. One who quits school.
b. One who has withdrawn from a given social group or environment.
a. A segment of a recording device, such as a magnetic tape or optical disk, that is damaged or unreadable.
b. The loss of an audio or video signal.
1. (Education) a student who fails to complete a school or college course
2. (Sociology) a person who rejects conventional society
3. (Rugby) rugby : drop-out a drop kick taken by the defending team to restart play, as after a touchdown
4. (Electronics) electronics : drop-out a momentary loss of signal in a magnetic recording medium as a result of an imperfection in its magnetic coating
to abandon or withdraw from (a school, social group, job, etc)
1. a student who withdraws before completing a course of instruction.
2. one who withdraws from established society.
3. a person who withdraws from a competition, job, task, etc.
A person who leaves a school or college without having completed the course of study.