drugged(redirected from druggedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A substance used in the diagnosis, treatment, or prevention of a disease or as a component of a medication.
b. Such a substance as recognized or defined by the US Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
2. A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.
3. Obsolete A chemical or dye.
tr.v. drugged, drug·ging, drugs
a. To administer a drug to, especially to treat pain or induce anesthesia.
b. To give a drug to, especially surreptitiously, in order to induce stupor.
2. To poison or mix (food or drink) with a drug.
[Middle English drogge, from Old French drogue, drug, perhaps from Middle Dutch droge (vate), dry (cases), pl. of drog, dry.]
1. (Law) (of food or drink) having had a substance added to it in order to stupefy or poison the person consuming it
2. (Pharmacology) (of food or drink) having had a substance added to it in order to stupefy or poison the person consuming it
3. (Law) under the influence of sedatives or narcotics
4. (Pharmacology) under the influence of sedatives or narcotics
5. (Pharmacology) (of sleep) brought about by drugs
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||drugged - under the influence of narcotics; "knocked out by doped wine"; "a drugged sleep"; "were under the effect of the drugged sweets"; "in a stuperous narcotized state"|
adjective stoned, high (informal), flying (slang), bombed (slang), tripping (informal) (slang), wasted (slang), smashed (slang), wrecked (slang), turned on (slang), out of it (slang), doped (slang), under the influence (informal), on a trip (informal), spaced out (slang), comatose, stupefied, out of your mind (slang), off your face (slang), loved-up (informal), zonked (slang), out to it (Austral. & N.Z. slang) drugged up to the eyeballs.
adj food, drink → mit einem Betäubungsmittel versetzt; to be drugged (person) → unter Beruhigungsmitteln stehen; he seemed drugged → er schien wie betäubt; her whisky was drugged → in ihrem Whisky waren K.O.-Tropfen; he awoke from a long drugged sleep → er erwachte aus einer langen, tiefen Betäubung; drugged with sleep → schlaftrunken; drugged with fatigue → vor Müdigkeit ganz benommen
a. endrogado-a, drogado-a.