Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. An incompetent or dull-witted person.
b. A casual or mediocre player of a sport, especially golf.
2. Slang A peddler of cheap merchandise.
3. Slang Something worthless or useless.
1. informal a dull or incompetent person
2. slang something worthless
3. (Professions) dialect a peddler or hawker
4. (Mining & Quarrying) a mine that proves unproductive
5. a person who steals cattle
[C19: of uncertain origin]
a. a plodding, clumsy, incompetent person.
b. a person inept or inexperienced at a specific sport, as golf.
a. anything inferior, counterfeit, or useless.
b. a peddler, esp. one who sells cheap, flashy goods.
[1835–45; perhaps Scots dial. duffar, dowfart dull, stupid person]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||duffer - an incompetent or clumsy person; "as a golfer he was only a duffer"|
clumsy person - a person with poor motor coordination