Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
The location of a dump, especially a garbage dump.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a dump where refuse is discarded
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to drop or let fall in a mass; fling down or drop heavily or suddenly: Dump the topsoil here.
2. to unload or empty out (a container), as by tilting or overturning.
3. to empty out, as from a container.
4. to be dismissed, fired, or released from a contract.
5. Informal. to transfer or rid oneself of suddenly and irresponsibly: Don't dump your troubles on me!
6. Informal. to end a romantic relationship with (someone) unexpectedly and without mutual consent.
a. to put (goods or securities) on the market in large quantities and at a low price, esp. in an attempt to reduce losses.
b. to sell (goods) into foreign markets below cost in an effort to destroy foreign competition.
8. to output (computer data), often in binary or hexadecimal form, esp. to diagnose a failure.v.i.
9. to fall or drop down suddenly.
10. to throw away or discard garbage, refuse, etc.
11. to release contents: a sewage pipe that dumps in the ocean.
12. dump on,n.
a. to criticize harshly; abuse.
b. to unload one's problems onto (another person).
13. an accumulation of discarded garbage, refuse, etc.
15. a collection of ammunition, military stores, etc., deposited at some point, as near a battlefront, for distribution.
16. the act of dumping.
17. Informal. a place, house, or town that is dilapidated, dirty, or disreputable.
18. a copy of dumped computer data.
[1250–1300; Middle English (in sense “to fall suddenly”) < Old Norse dumpa strike, bump]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dumpsite - a piece of land where waste materials are dumped|
eitchen midden, kitchen midden, midden - (archeology) a mound of domestic refuse containing shells and animal bones marking the site of a prehistoric settlement
garbage heap, junk heap, junk pile, refuse heap, rubbish heap, scrapheap, trash heap, trash pile - an accumulation of refuse and discarded matter
toxic dumpsite, toxic waste dump, toxic waste site - a location where toxic wastes can be or have been disposed of (often illegally)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.