Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. dunked, dunk·ing, dunks
1. To plunge into liquid; immerse.
2. To dip (food) into a liquid food, such as a beverage or sauce, prior to eating: dunked the cookie into a glass of milk.
3. Basketball To slam (a ball) through the basket from above.
1. To submerge oneself briefly in water.
2. Basketball To slam a ball through the basket from above.
1. The act or an instance of dunking.
2. A liquid or creamy food into which other foods are dunked.
3. Basketball A dunk shot.
[Pennsylvania Dutch dunke, from Middle High German dunken, from Old High German dunkōn.]
1. (Cookery) to dip (bread, etc) in tea, soup, etc, before eating
2. to submerge or be submerged in liquid
[C20: from Pennsylvania Dutch, from Middle High German dunken, from Old High German dunkōn; see duck2, tinge]
1. to dip (a doughnut, cake, etc.) into coffee, milk, or the like, before eating.
2. to submerge briefly in a liquid.
3. to thrust (a basketball) downward through the basket.v.i.
4. to dip or submerge something, oneself, etc., in a liquid.
5. to execute or attempt a dunk shot.n.
6. an act or instance of dunking.
7. a liquid or creamy mixture into which food is dipped.
8. dunk shot.
[1865–70; < Pennsylvania German dunke to dip, immerse; compare German tunken, Old High German thunkōn, dunkōn]
dunk- Came from Pennsylvania/German dunke, "dip," from German tunken, "dip or plunge."
See also related terms for plunge.
Past participle: dunked
A field goal made by jumping very high and stuffing the ball through the basket from above the rim.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||dunk - a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket|
basketball shot - throwing the basketball toward the hoop; "his shot hit the rim and bounced out"
slam dunk - a forceful dunk
|Verb||1.||dunk - immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate; "dip the garment into the cleaning solution"; "dip the brush into the paint"|
sop - dip into liquid; "sop bread into the sauce"
dabble - dip a foot or hand briefly into a liquid
|2.||dunk - make a dunk shot, in basketball; "He dunked the ball"|
basketball, basketball game, hoops - a game played on a court by two opposing teams of 5 players; points are scored by throwing the ball through an elevated horizontal hoop
shoot - throw or propel in a specific direction or towards a specific objective; "shoot craps"; "shoot a golf ball"
slam-dunk - make a slam dunk; shoot a basketball in a slam dunk
|3.||dunk - dip into a liquid while eating; "She dunked the piece of bread in the sauce"|
eat - take in solid food; "She was eating a banana"; "What did you eat for dinner last night?"