Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
du·ri·an(do͝or′ē-ən, -än′, dyo͝or′-)
1. A tree (Durio zibethinus) of Southeast Asia, bearing edible fruit.
2. The fruit of this plant, having a hard prickly rind and soft pulp with a strong odor.
[Malay, from duri, thorn.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a SE Asian bombacaceous tree, Durio zibethinus, having very large oval fruits with a hard spiny rind containing seeds surrounded by edible evil-smelling aril
2. (Cookery) the fruit of this tree, which has an offensive smell but a pleasant taste: supposedly an aphrodisiac
[C16: from Malay, from duri thorn]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
du•ri•an(ˈdʊər i ən)
1. the edible fruit of a SE Asian tree, Durio zibethinus, of the bombax family, having a prickly rind and nasty-smelling flesh.
2. the tree itself.
[1580–90; < Malay]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||durian - tree of southeastern Asia having edible oval fruit with a hard spiny rind|
durian - huge fruit native to southeastern Asia `smelling like Hell and tasting like Heaven'; seeds are roasted and eaten like nuts
fruit tree - tree bearing edible fruit
|2.||durian - huge fruit native to southeastern Asia `smelling like Hell and tasting like Heaven'; seeds are roasted and eaten like nuts|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.