dysthymia

(redirected from dysthymics)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.

dys·thy·mi·a

 (dĭs-thī′mē-ə)
n.
A mood disorder characterized by depressive symptoms that persist for two or more years, sometimes subsiding for short periods of time. Also called persistent depressive disorder.

[New Latin dysthȳmia, from Greek dusthūmiā, despondency : dus-, dys- + -thūmiā, -thymia.]

dys·thy′mic adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

dysthymia

(dɪsˈθaɪmɪə)
n
1. (Psychiatry) the characteristics of the neurotic and introverted, including anxiety, depression, and compulsive behaviour
2. (Psychiatry) obsolete a relatively mild depression
[C19: New Latin, from Greek dusthumia, from dys- + thumos mind]
dysˈthymic adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014

dysthymia

extreme anxiety and depression accompanied by obsession. — dysthymic, adj.
See also: Psychology
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
ThesaurusAntonymsRelated WordsSynonymsLegend:
Noun1.dysthymia - mild chronic depression; "I thought she had just been in a bad mood for thirty years, but the doctor called it dysthymia"
clinical depression, depressive disorder, depression - a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
With regard to the DSM-IV dysthymia diagnosis, Figure 1 illustrates that 65 out of the 140 patients met the criteria for dysthymia, 57 of whom we were able to reliably identify the age of onset, and classifies 45.6% (n=26) as early-onset (before 21 years of age) dysthymics while 54.4% (n=3l) as late-onset dysthymics.
This omission rendered us unable to retrospectively examine the development of chronicity in our persistent depressive patients, despite the fact that we collected data regarding age of onset solely from the dysthymic patients to classify them as early-onset and late-onset dysthymics.
In terms of diagnostic criteria at baseline fifty-four per cent (54%) were diagnosed as dysthymics. Of the remaining forty-six per cent (46%) of the patients 94% were diagnosed as having mild depressive episodes and 6% as having moderate depressive episodes.
We finally repeated the analysis for the groups of dysthymics, and found no significant differences between treatments (p = 0.837).
"Elderly dysthymics aren't simply young dysthymics who grew older," Dr.