Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An earthen embankment, especially one used as a fortification. See Synonyms at bulwark.
2. Engineering Excavation and embankment of earth.
3. A work of art made by altering an area of land or a natural geographic feature, especially on a large scale.
1. (Mining & Quarrying) excavation of earth, as in engineering construction
2. (Fortifications) a fortification made of earth
1. excavation and piling of earth in an engineering operation.
2. a military construction formed chiefly of earth for protection against enemy fire.
3. an artistic work that consists of a large-scale modification of an area of land by an artist.
An embankment of earth constructed as a fortification.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||earthwork - an earthen rampart|
bulwark, rampart, wall - an embankment built around a space for defensive purposes; "they stormed the ramparts of the city"; "they blew the trumpet and the walls came tumbling down"
sconce - a small fort or earthwork defending a ford, pass, or castle gate