kosher(redirected from eaten kosher)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Conforming to dietary laws; ritually pure: kosher meat.
b. Observing dietary laws: a kosher household.
c. Selling or serving food prepared in accordance with dietary laws: a kosher restaurant.
2. Informal Legitimate; permissible: Is it kosher to wear jeans in the office?
tr.v. ko·shered, ko·sher·ing, ko·shersIdiom:
To make proper or ritually pure.
To observe Jewish dietary laws.
1. (Judaism) Judaism conforming to religious law; fit for use: esp, (of food) prepared in accordance with the dietary laws. See also kasher, kashruth
a. genuine or authentic
b. legitimate or proper
[C19: from Yiddish, from Hebrew kāshēr right, proper]
a. fit or allowed to be eaten or used, according to the dietary or ceremonial laws of Judaism.
b. adhering to these laws.
2. Informal. proper; legitimate.n.
3. Informal. kosher food.v.t.
4. to make kosher.
[1850–55; < Yiddish < Hebrew kāshēr right, fit]
1. A Yiddish word meaning proper, used to describe something that is correct, especially food prepared according to Jewish dietary restrictions.
2. This means ritually correct or proper and applies to food which has been prepared following Jewish dietary laws.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||kosher - food that fulfills the requirements of Jewish dietary law|
|Adj.||1.||kosher - conforming to dietary laws; "kosher meat"; "a kosher kitchen"|
Judaism - the monotheistic religion of the Jews having its spiritual and ethical principles embodied chiefly in the Torah and in the Talmud
clean - ritually clean or pure
|2.||kosher - proper or legitimate|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
proper - marked by suitability or rightness or appropriateness; "proper medical treatment"; "proper manners"
유태교 규칙에 따라 처리된
tuân thủ chế độ ăn kiêng kosher