ebony(redirected from ebonies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. eb·on·ies
1. Any of various tropical Asian or African trees of the genus Diospyros.
2. The wood of such a tree, especially the hard black heartwood of D. ebenum or certain other species, used in cabinetwork and inlaying and for piano keys.
3. The hard dark wood of various other trees.
4. The color black; ebon.
1. Made of or suggesting ebony.
2. Black in color.
[Probably from Middle English hebenyf, ebony wood, from alteration of Late Latin hebeninus, of ebony, from Greek ebeninos, from ebenos, ebony tree, from Egyptian hbny.]
n, pl -onies
1. (Plants) any of various tropical and subtropical trees of the genus Diospyros, esp D. ebenum of S India, that have hard dark wood: family Ebenaceae. See also persimmon
2. (Plants) the wood of such a tree, much used for cabinetwork
a. a black colour, sometimes with a dark olive tinge
b. (as adjective): an ebony skin.
[C16 hebeny, from Late Latin ebeninus from Greek ebeninos, from ebenos ebony, of Egyptian origin]
eb•on•y(ˈɛb ə ni)
n., pl. -on•ies,
1. a hard, heavy, durable, dark wood from tropical trees of the African and Asian genus Diospyros, of the ebony family, used for cabinetwork, ornamental objects, etc.
2. any tree yielding such wood.
3. a deep, lustrous black.adj.
4. made of ebony.
5. of a deep, lustrous black.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ebony - a very dark black|
|2.||ebony - hard dark-colored heartwood of the ebony tree; used in cabinetwork and for piano keys|
Diospyros ebenum, ebony tree, ebony - tropical tree of southern Asia having hard dark-colored heartwood used in cabinetwork
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|3.||ebony - tropical tree of southern Asia having hard dark-colored heartwood used in cabinetwork|
ebony - hard dark-colored heartwood of the ebony tree; used in cabinetwork and for piano keys
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms
|Adj.||1.||ebony - of a very dark black|
eins og íbenholtíbenholt, íbenviîur, tinnuviîur
ebony[ˈɛbənɪ] n → ebano
1. noun, adjective (of) a type of wood, usually black and almost as heavy and hard as stone. ébano eebenpuu kayu hitam, eboni 흑단 ebbenhout, ebbenhouten ابنوس ไม้มะเกลือ 黑檀木 乌木，黑檀
2. adjective black as ebony. ébano pikimusta hitam 흑단제의 zwart als ebbenhout تور لکه ابنوس สีดำ 烏黑的 似乌木的