Also found in: Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.


 (ĕ′kō), Umberto 1932-2016.
Italian writer best known for his novels, including The Name of the Rose (1980). He also wrote extensively on semiotics and British and American popular culture.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.


a. short for ecology
b. (as modifier): an eco group.


(Biography) Umberto. born 1932, Italian semiologist and writer. His novels include The Name of the Rose (1981) and Foucault's Pendulum (1988)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014


nÖkosphäre f
nÖkosystem nt
nÖkotourismus m
n (inf)Ökokämpfer(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
References in periodicals archive ?
(Theta 360) Inside the DLSU Eco Team - I.
This was his maiden visit since he assumed responsibilities as the Secretary General ECO, said a press release issued here.
The meetings were also attended by Government officials of Uzbekistan, ECO Secretariat Cooperation Council of Turkic speaking States, Foreign Missions of ECO Countries in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
FPCCI played important role in ECO-CCI when its presidency and Secretariat was with FPCCI for last three years during which five times statutory meetings organized by FPCCI in Turkey, Iran and Pakistan and last Executive Committee Meeting held in Iran was attended by all 10 ECO countries.
It can be concluded from this research that partially Eco Innovation variable significantly affects Eco-Campus variable, whereas the influence of Eco-Innovation variable towards Eco-Campus variable is of 2.70%.
ECO Secretary General Halil Ibrahim Akca represented the ECO Secretariat.
Sartaj Aziz, in his remarks, stated that Pakistan, being a founding member and SCO chairman, realized its responsibility and extended full support to the projects and initiatives of ECO.He also noted that Pakistan hosted numerous ECO events during its chairmanship of the ECO since the 13th ECO Summit held on March 1, 2017, for the implementation of the Islamabad Declaration and the ECO vision 2025.
According to Tajik sources, the ECO meeting will be held in Dushanbe on April 17 where the officials of the Foreign Ministry of Tajikistan, ministers and deputy foreign ministers of countries, members of the Organization, will take part.
Eco Guyana holds a 40% working interest in the Orinduik Block, offshore Guyana, with the remaining 60% held by Tullow Oil (Operator).
Welcoming ECO Secretary-General and his delegation to Pakistan, PM Abbasi said that Pakistan extends full support to the organisation in promoting bilateral as well as multilateral cooperation among the ECO member countries.
"ECO Vision 2025 has stipulated to double the intra-regional trade for which we need to at least re-double efforts," he said while addressing the 28th meeting of Economic Cooperation Organisation Regional Planning Council (ECORPC) here.