Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to electro-: Electro music
a. Electricity: electromagnet.
b. Electric; electrically: electrocute.
2. Electrolysis: electrodeposit.
3. Electron: electronegative.
[New Latin ēlectro-, from Latin ēlectrum, amber; see electric.]
electro-or sometimes before a vowel
1. electric or electrically: electrocardiograph; electrocute.
2. electrolytic: electroanalysis.
[from New Latin, from Latin ēlectrum amber, from Greek ēlektron]
1. pertaining to, derived from, produced by, or involving electricity: an electric shock.
2. producing, transmitting, or operated by electric currents: an electric bell; electric cord.
3. heated by electricity: an electric blanket.
4. thrilling; exciting.
5. (of a musical instrument)
b. amplified by electronic devices: an electric guitar.
6. vivid; intense: electric blue.n.
7. something, as an appliance or toy, operated by electricity.
pref → Elektro-