elephantine(redirected from elephantinely)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
An island of southeast Egypt in the Nile River below the First Cataract near Aswan. In ancient times it was a military post guarding the southern frontier of Egypt. A series of Jewish papyrus documents dating from the 5th century bc were discovered at Elephantine in the early 1900s.
el·e·phan·tine(ĕl′ə-făn′tēn′, -tīn′, ĕl′ə-fən-)
1. Of or relating to an elephant.
2. Enormous in size or strength: "the proliferation of superstores, superstadiums, [and] elephantine convention centers" (Herbert Muschamp).
3. Ponderously clumsy.
1. (Zoology) denoting, relating to, or characteristic of an elephant or elephants
2. huge, clumsy, or ponderous
el•e•phan•tine(ˌɛl əˈfæn tin, -taɪn, -tɪn, ˈɛl ə fənˌtin, -ˌtaɪn)
1. pertaining to or resembling an elephant.
2. of massive size; huge: elephantine buildings.
3. ponderous; clumsy.
[1620–30; < Latin < Greek]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||elephantine - of great mass; huge and bulky; "a jumbo jet"; "jumbo shrimp"|
big, large - above average in size or number or quantity or magnitude or extent; "a large city"; "set out for the big city"; "a large sum"; "a big (or large) barn"; "a large family"; "big businesses"; "a big expenditure"; "a large number of newspapers"; "a big group of scientists"; "large areas of the world"
1. Of extraordinary size and power:
behemoth, Brobdingnagian, Bunyanesque, colossal, cyclopean, enormous, gargantuan, giant, gigantesque, gigantic, herculean, heroic, huge, immense, jumbo, mammoth, massive, massy, mastodonic, mighty, monster, monstrous, monumental, mountainous, prodigious, pythonic, stupendous, titanic, tremendous, vast.