Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to embassage: envoy
1. A diplomatic delegation.
2. Archaic An embassy.
[Middle English ambassage, office or function of an ambassador, possibly variant of ambassade, from Old French ambassade, ambaxade, from Old Spanish ambaxada or Old Provençal ambaissada, both from Medieval Latin ambactiāta, from ambactia; see ambassador.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the work of an ambassador, or the message conveyed by an ambassador
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the position of an ambassador
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
em•bas•sy(ˈɛm bə si)
n., pl. -sies.
1. the official headquarters of an ambassador.
2. the function or office of an ambassador.
3. a mission headed by an ambassador.
4. a body of persons sent on a diplomatic mission.
[1570–80; variant of ambassy < Middle French ambassee « Old Provençal ambaissada, ultimately derivative, via Germanic of Gallo-Latin ambactus retainer, servant]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.