emboss(redirected from embossing)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
tr.v. em·bossed, em·boss·ing, em·boss·es
1. To mold or carve in relief: emboss a design on a coin.
2. To decorate with or as if with a raised design: emboss leather.
3. To adorn; decorate.
4. To cover with many protuberances; stud: "The whole buoy was embossed with barnacles" (Herman Melville).
[Middle English embosen, from Old French embocer : en-, in; see en-1 + boce, knob.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) to mould or carve (a decoration or design) on (a surface) so that it is raised above the surface in low relief
2. to cause to bulge; make protrude
[C14: from Old French embocer, from em- + boce boss2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to raise (designs) from a surface; represent in relief.
2. to decorate (a surface) with raised ornament.
3. to raise a design on (a blank) with dies of similar pattern, one the negative of the other.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: embossed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||emboss - raise in a relief; "embossed stationery"|
block - stamp or emboss a title or design on a book with a block; "block the book cover"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
emboss[ɪmˈbɒs] VT [+ metal, leather] → repujar; [+ paper] → gofrar, estampar (en relieve)
embossed with the royal arms → con el escudo real en relieve
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995