bulla(redirected from emphysematous bulla)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to emphysematous bulla: emphysemic
n. pl. bul·lae (bo͝ol′ē)
1. A round seal affixed to a papal bull.
2. Medicine A large blister or vesicle.
[Medieval Latin, from Latin, bubble, seal.]
n, pl -lae (-liː)
1. (Roman Catholic Church) a leaden seal affixed to a papal bull, having a representation of Saints Peter and Paul on one side and the name of the reigning pope on the other
2. (Antiques) an ancient Roman rounded metal or leather box containing an amulet, worn around the neck
3. (Pathology) pathol another word for blister1
4. (Anatomy) anatomy a rounded bony projection
[C19: from Latin: round object, bubble]
bul•la(ˈbʊl ə, ˈbʌl ə)
n., pl. bul•lae (ˈbʊl i, ˈbʌl i)
1. a seal attached to an official document, as a papal bull.
2. a large blister or vesicle.
[1840–50; < Latin: bubble, also stud, boss, knob]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||bulla - (pathology) an elevation of the skin filled with serous fluid|
vesicle, cyst - a small anatomically normal sac or bladderlike structure (especially one containing fluid)
pathology - the branch of medical science that studies the causes and nature and effects of diseases
water blister - blister containing a nonpurulent clear watery content
blood blister - blister containing blood or bloody serum usually caused by an injury
pustule - a small inflamed elevation of skin containing pus; a blister filled with pus
|2.||bulla - the round leaden seal affixed to a papal bull|