empress(redirected from empresses)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The female ruler of an empire.
2. The wife or widow of an emperor.
[Middle English emperesse, from Old French, feminine of empereor, emperor; see emperor.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the wife or widow of an emperor
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a woman who holds the rank of emperor in her own right
3. a woman of great power and influence
[C12: from Old French empereriz, from Latin imperātrix feminine of imperātor emperor]
1. a female ruler of an empire.
2. the consort of an emperor.
[1125–75; < Old French empereriz < Latin imperātrīcem, acc. of imperātrix, feminine of imperātor. See emperor, -trix]
usage: See -ess.