Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to enamelling: vitreous enamel
1. A vitreous, usually opaque, protective or decorative coating baked on metal, glass, or ceramic ware.
2. An object having such a coating, as in a piece of cloisonné.
3. A coating that dries to a hard glossy finish: nail enamel.
4. A paint that dries to a hard glossy finish.
5. Anatomy The hard, calcareous substance covering the exposed portion of a tooth.
tr.v. e·nam·eled, e·nam·el·ing, e·nam·els or e·nam·elled or e·nam·el·ling
1. To coat, inlay, or decorate with enamel.
2. To give a glossy or brilliant surface to.
3. To adorn with a brightly colored surface.
[From Middle English enamelen, to put on enamel, from Anglo-Norman enamailler : en-, on (from Old French; see en-1) + amail, enamel (from Old French esmail, of Germanic origin; see mel- in Indo-European roots).]
e·nam′el·er, e·nam′el·ist n.
1. (Art Terms) the art or process of decorating something such as jewellery in enamel
2. (Art Terms) the decoration produced in this way