encrust(redirected from encrusts)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
en·crust(ĕn-krŭst′) also in·crust (ĭn-)
tr.v. en·crust·ed, en·crust·ing, en·crusts also in·crust·ed or in·crust·ing or in·crusts
1. To cover or coat with or as if with a crust: tires encrusted with dried mud; legalities that were encrusted with tradition.
2. To decorate by inlaying or overlaying with a contrasting material: encrust wood paneling with ivory.
[Possibly from French incruster, from Latin incrustāre : in-, on; see en-1 + crusta, crust; see kreus- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (tr) to cover or overlay with or as with a crust or hard coating
2. to form or cause to form a crust or hard coating
3. (tr) to decorate lavishly, as with jewels
ˌencrusˈtation, ˌincrusˈtation n
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to cover or line with a crust or hard coating.
2. to form into a crust.
3. to deposit as a crust.v.i.
4. to form a crust.
[1635–45; < Latin incrustāre]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: encrusted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||encrust - cover or coat with a crust|
|2.||encrust - decorate or cover lavishly (as with gems)|
|3.||encrust - form a crust or a hard layer|
effloresce - become encrusted with crystals due to evaporation
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
encrust[ɪnˈkrʌst] VT → incrustar (with de)
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007