Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. The area at either end of a football field between the goal line and the end line.
2. A similar area at end of the playing area of certain other sports.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (American Football) American football the area behind the goals at each end of the field that the ball must cross for a touchdown to be awarded
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the area at either end of a football field between the goal line and the end line.
2. the area at either end of an ice-hockey rink between the goal line and the closer of the two blue lines.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.