Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to endospore: exospore
1. The inner layer of the wall of a spore.
2. An asexual spore developed within a cell, as that formed by some bacteria.
1. (Botany) a small asexual spore produced by some bacteria and algae
2. (Botany) the innermost wall of a spore or pollen grain
en•do•spore(ˈɛn dəˌspɔr, -ˌspoʊr)
1. the inner coat of a spore. Compare intine.
2. a spore formed within a cell of a rod-shaped organism.
en•dos′por•ous (ɛnˈdɒs pər əs) adj.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||endospore - a small asexual spore that develops inside the cell of some bacteria and algae|
spore - a small usually single-celled asexual reproductive body produced by many nonflowering plants and fungi and some bacteria and protozoans and that are capable of developing into a new individual without sexual fusion; "a sexual spore is formed after the fusion of gametes"