Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
v. en·gorged, en·gorg·ing, en·gorg·es
1. To devour greedily.
2. To gorge; glut.
3. To fill to excess, as with blood or other fluid.
To feed ravenously.
[French engorger, from Old French engorgier : en-, in; see en-1 + gorge, throat; see gorge.]
1. (Physiology) pathol to congest with blood
2. to eat (food) ravenously or greedily
3. to gorge (oneself); glut; satiate
v.t., v.i. -gorged, -gorg•ing.
1. to swallow greedily; glut or gorge.
2. to fill or congest with blood.
Past participle: engorged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||engorge - overeat or eat immodestly; make a pig of oneself; "She stuffed herself at the dinner"; "The kids binged on ice cream"|
binge, englut, glut, gorge, gormandise, gormandize, gourmandize, ingurgitate, overeat, overgorge, overindulge, pig out, scarf out, satiate, stuff
eat - eat a meal; take a meal; "We did not eat until 10 P.M. because there were so many phone calls"; "I didn't eat yet, so I gladly accept your invitation"