ensconce(redirected from ensconces)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
tr.v. en·sconced, en·sconc·ing, en·sconc·es
1. To settle (oneself) securely or comfortably: She ensconced herself in an armchair.
2. To place or conceal in a secure place.
vb (tr; often passive)
1. to establish or settle firmly or comfortably: ensconced in a chair.
2. to place in safety; hide
[C16: see en-1, sconce2]
v.t. -sconced, -sconc•ing.
1. to settle securely or snugly: The kitten was ensconced in an armchair.
2. to cover or shelter; hide securely.
Past participle: ensconced
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||ensconce - fix firmly; "He ensconced himself in the chair"|