Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to ensign: White Ensign
1. A national flag displayed on ships and aircraft, often with the special insignia of a branch or unit of the armed forces.
2. A standard or banner, as of a military unit.
a. A commissioned rank in the US Navy or Coast Guard that is below lieutenant junior grade.
b. One who holds this rank.
4. A badge, emblem, or token of power or authority.
[Middle English ensigne, from Old French enseigne, from Latin īnsignia, insignia; see insignia.]
1. (Military) a flag flown by a ship, branch of the armed forces, etc, to indicate nationality, allegiance, etc. See also Red Ensign, White Ensign
2. any flag, standard, or banner
3. (Military) a standard-bearer
4. a symbol, token, or emblem; sign
5. (Military) (in the US Navy) a commissioned officer of the lowest rank
6. (Military) (in the British infantry) a colours bearer
7. (Military) (formerly in the British infantry) a commissioned officer of the lowest rank
[C14: from Old French enseigne, from Latin insignia]
ˈensignˌship, ˈensigncy n
en•sign(ˈɛn sən; for 1-3,5 also -saɪn)
1. a flag or banner, as a naval standard used to indicate nationality.
2. a badge of office or authority, as heraldic arms.
3. a sign, token, or emblem: the dove, an ensign of peace.
4. the lowest commissioned officer in the navy or coast guard, ranking next below a lieutenant, junior grade.
5. Archaic. standard-bearer (def. 1).
[1325–75; Middle English ensigne < Old French enseigne < Latin insignia; see insignia]
en′sign•ship`, en′sign•cy, n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ensign - a person who holds a commissioned rank in the United States Navy or the United States Coast Guard; below lieutenant junior grade|
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
commissioned naval officer - a commissioned officer in the navy
|2.||ensign - an emblem flown as a symbol of nationality|
flag - emblem usually consisting of a rectangular piece of cloth of distinctive design
|3.||ensign - colors flown by a ship to show its nationality|