Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. en·ti·ties
1. Something that exists as a particular and discrete unit: Persons and corporations are equivalent entities under the law.
2. The fact of existence; being.
3. The existence of something considered apart from its properties.
[Medieval Latin entitās, from Latin ēns, ent-, present participle of esse, to be; see es- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
1. (Philosophy) something having real or distinct existence; a thing, esp when considered as independent of other things
2. existence or being
3. the essence or real nature
[C16: from Medieval Latin entitās, from ēns being; see ens]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
en•ti•ty(ˈɛn tɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. something that has a real existence; thing.
2. something that exists as a distinct, independent, or self-contained unit.
3. being or existence, esp. when considered as distinct, independent, or self-contained.
[1590–1600; < Medieval Latin entitās= Latin enti-, s. of ēns (extracted from potēns potent1 etc., as presumed present participle of esse to be) + -tās -ty2]
en′ti•ta`tive (-ˌteɪ tɪv) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||entity - that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving)|
physical entity - an entity that has physical existence
abstract entity, abstraction - a general concept formed by extracting common features from specific examples
thing - an entity that is not named specifically; "I couldn't tell what the thing was"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. thing, being, body, individual, object, presence, existence, substance, quantity, creature, organism the concept of the earth as a living entity
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
2. An organized array of individual elements and parts forming and working as a unit:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
entity[ˈɛntɪtɪ] n → entità f inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. entidad, integridad, esencia o cualidad de algo.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012