entrain(redirected from entraining)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to entraining: entertaining
tr.v. en·trained, en·train·ing, en·trains
1. To pull or draw along after itself.
2. Chemistry To carry (suspended particles, for example) along in a current or into the vapor phase.
[French entrainer, from Old French : en-, in; see en-1 + trainer, to drag; see train.]
v. en·trained, en·train·ing, en·trains
To go aboard a train.
To put aboard a train.
(Railways) to board or put aboard a train
1. (Chemistry) (of a liquid or gas) to carry along (drops of liquid, bubbles, etc), as in certain distillations
2. (Civil Engineering) to disperse (air bubbles) through concrete in order to increase its resistance to frost
3. (Zoology) zoology to adjust (an internal rhythm of an organism) so that it synchronizes with an external cycle, such as that of light and dark
1. to go aboard a train.v.t.
2. to put aboard a train.
1. (of a substance, as a vapor) to carry along (a dissimilar substance, as drops of liquid) during a given process, as evaporation or distillation.
2. (of a liquid) to trap (bubbles).
Past participle: entrained