eosin(redirected from eosinic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A yellowish-red crystalline powder, C20H8 Br4O5, used in textile dyeing and ink manufacturing, as a biological stain, and in coloring gasoline.
2. Any of a group of red fluorescent bromine derivatives of fluorescein, or their sodium or potassium salts, used in ink manufacturing, textile dyeing, and in biology to stain cells.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) Also called: bromeosin a red crystalline water-insoluble derivative of fluorescein. Its soluble salts are used as dyes. Formula: C20H8Br4O5
2. (Dyeing) any of several similar dyes
[C19: from Greek ēōs dawn + -in; referring to the colour it gives to silk]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
e•o•sin(ˈi ə sɪn)
also e•o•sine(-sɪn, -ˌsin)
1. a red, crystalline, water-insoluble solid, C20H8Br4O5, used chiefly as an acid dye for silk and as a histological stain.
2. any of a variety of similar dyes.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||eosin - a red fluorescent dye resulting from the action of bromine on fluorescein; used in cosmetics and as a biological stain for studying cell structures|
fluorescein, fluoresceine, fluorescent dye, resorcinolphthalein - a yellow dye that is visible even when highly diluted; used as an absorption indicator when silver nitrate solution is added to sodium chloride in order to precipitate silver chloride (turns pink when no chloride ions are left in solution and negative fluorescein ions are then absorbed)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. eosina, sustancia insoluble usada como colorante rojo en algunos tejidos que se estudian bajo el microscopio.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012