Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. eph·e·mer·i·des (ĕf′ə-mĕr′ə-dēz′)
A table giving the coordinates of a celestial body at a number of specific times during a given period.
[Late Latin ephēmeris, from Greek, diary, from ephēmeros, daily; see ephemeral.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl ephemerides (ˌɛfɪˈmɛrɪˌdiːz)
1. (Astronomy) a table giving the future positions of a planet, comet, or satellite
2. (Astronomy) an annual publication giving the positions of the sun, moon, and planets during the course of a year, information concerning eclipses, astronomical constants, etc
3. (Library Science & Bibliography) obsolete a diary or almanac
[C16: from Latin, from Greek: diary, journal; see ephemeral]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
e•phem•er•is(ɪˈfɛm ər ɪs)
n., pl. e•phe•mer•i•des (ˌɛf əˈmɛr ɪˌdiz)
1. a table showing the positions of a heavenly body on a number of dates in a regular sequence.
2. an astronomical almanac containing such tables.
3. Archaic. an almanac or calendar.
[1545–55; < Latin ephēmeris day book, diary < Greek ephēmerís diary, account book]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
an astronomical almanac giving, as an aid to the astronomer and navigator, the locations of celestial bodies for each day of the year.See also: Almanacs
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
A table that shows the coordinates of a celestial body at various specific times.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ephemeris - an annual publication containing astronomical tables that give the positions of the celestial bodies throughout the year; "today computers calculate the ephemerides"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.