Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. On; upon: epiphyte.
2. Over; above: epicenter.
3. Around: epicarp.
4. Close to; near: epicalyx.
5. Besides: epiphenomenon.
6. After: epilogue.
7. Chemistry Epimer of: epitestosterone.
eph-or before a vowel
1. on; upon; above; over: epidermis; epicentre.
2. in addition to: epiphenomenon.
3. after: epigenesis; epilogue.
4. near; close to: epicalyx.
[from Greek, from epi (prep)]
a prefix occurring orig. in loanwords from Greek, with the following meanings: “on, upon, at” (epicenter; epitaph); “outer, exterior, or covering” (epidermis; epithelium); “extending generally” (epicene; epidemic); “accompanying, additional” (epiphemonenon; episode); “to, towards” (epistle); “following, succeeding” (epigone); “suddenness or forcefulness (of the action of the verb)” (epilepsy; epiphany). Also, before a vowel or h,ep-.
[< Greek, prefixal use of epí, preposition and adv.]