Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to epoxy: Epoxy group
n. pl. ep·ox·ies
1. Any of various usually thermosetting resins capable of forming tight cross-linked polymer structures characterized by toughness, strong adhesion, and low shrinkage, used especially in surface coatings and adhesives.
2. See epoxide.
tr.v. ep·ox·ied, ep·ox·y·ing, ep·ox·ies
To fasten together with epoxy.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Chemistry) of, consisting of, or containing an oxygen atom joined to two different groups that are themselves joined to other groups: epoxy group.
2. (Chemical Engineering) of, relating to, or consisting of an epoxy resin
n, pl epoxies
(Chemical Engineering) short for epoxy resin
[C20: from epi- + oxy-2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
adj., n., pl. -ox•ies., adj.
1. (of an organic chemical) containing a group (epox′y group`) that consists of an oxygen atom bound to two already connected atoms, usu. carbon.n.
2. Also called epox′y res`in. any of a class of resins derived by polymerization from epoxides: used chiefly in adhesives, coatings, and castings.v.t.
3. to bond (two materials) by means of an epoxy resin.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Any of various artificial resins that are tough, very adhesive, and resistant to chemicals. Epoxies are used to make protective coatings and glues.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||epoxy - a thermosetting resin; used chiefly in strong adhesives and coatings and laminates|
Crazy Glue - a commercial brand of epoxy glue
synthetic resin - a resin having a polymeric structure; especially a resin in the raw state; used chiefly in plastics
|Verb||1.||epoxy - glue with epoxy; "epoxy the shards"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.