epoxy(redirected from epoxying)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. ep·ox·ies
1. Any of various usually thermosetting resins capable of forming tight cross-linked polymer structures characterized by toughness, strong adhesion, and low shrinkage, used especially in surface coatings and adhesives.
2. See epoxide.
tr.v. ep·ox·ied, ep·ox·y·ing, ep·ox·ies
To fasten together with epoxy.
1. (Chemistry) of, consisting of, or containing an oxygen atom joined to two different groups that are themselves joined to other groups: epoxy group.
2. (Chemical Engineering) of, relating to, or consisting of an epoxy resin
n, pl epoxies
(Chemical Engineering) short for epoxy resin
[C20: from epi- + oxy-2]
adj., n., pl. -ox•ies., adj.
1. (of an organic chemical) containing a group (epox′y group`) that consists of an oxygen atom bound to two already connected atoms, usu. carbon.n.
2. Also called epox′y res`in. any of a class of resins derived by polymerization from epoxides: used chiefly in adhesives, coatings, and castings.v.t.
3. to bond (two materials) by means of an epoxy resin.
Any of various artificial resins that are tough, very adhesive, and resistant to chemicals. Epoxies are used to make protective coatings and glues.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||epoxy - a thermosetting resin; used chiefly in strong adhesives and coatings and laminates|
Crazy Glue - a commercial brand of epoxy glue
synthetic resin - a resin having a polymeric structure; especially a resin in the raw state; used chiefly in plastics
|Verb||1.||epoxy - glue with epoxy; "epoxy the shards"|