Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The act or process of equating or of being equated.
2. The state of being equal.
3. Mathematics A statement asserting the equality of two expressions, usually written as a linear array of symbols that are separated into left and right sides and joined by an equal sign.
4. Chemistry A representation of a chemical reaction, usually written as a linear array in which the symbols and quantities of the reactants are separated from those of the products by an arrow or a set of opposing arrows.
5. A complex of variable elements or factors: "The world was full of equations ... there must be an answer for everything, if only you knew how to set forth the questions" (Anne Tyler).
e•qua•tion•al(ɪˈkweɪ ʒə nl, -ʃə-)
1. of, using, or involving equations.
2. of or pertaining to a sentence consisting of a subject and complement having the same referent, with or without a copula, as Very interesting, those books.