equilibrium(redirected from equilibrium dialysis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. e·qui·lib·ri·ums or e·qui·lib·ri·a (-rē-ə)
1. A condition in which all acting influences are canceled by others, resulting in a stable, balanced, or unchanging system.
2. Mental or emotional balance.
3. Physics The state of a body or physical system at rest or in unaccelerated motion in which the resultant of all forces acting on it is zero and the sum of all torques about any axis is zero.
a. The state of a chemical reaction in which its forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates so that the concentration of the reactants and products does not change with time.
b. The state of a system in which more than one phase exists and exchange between phases occurs at equal rates so that there is no net change in the composition of the system.
[Latin aequilībrium : aequi-, equi- + lībra, balance.]
n, pl -riums or -ria (-rɪə)
1. a stable condition in which forces cancel one another
2. a state or feeling of mental balance; composure
3. (General Physics) any unchanging condition or state of a body, system, etc, resulting from the balance or cancelling out of the influences or processes to which it is subjected. See thermodynamic equilibrium
4. (General Physics) physics a state of rest or uniform motion in which there is no resultant force on a body
5. (Chemistry) chem the condition existing when a chemical reaction and its reverse reaction take place at equal rates
6. (General Physics) physics the condition of a system that has its total energy distributed among its component parts in the statistically most probable manner
7. (Physiology) physiol a state of bodily balance, maintained primarily by special receptors in the inner ear
8. (Economics) the economic condition in which there is neither excess demand nor excess supply in a market
[C17: from Latin aequilībrium, from aequi- equi- + lībra pound, balance]
e•qui•lib•ri•um(ˌi kwəˈlɪb ri əm, ˌɛk wə-)
n., pl. -ri•ums, -ri•a (-ri ə)
1. a state of rest or balance due to the equal action of opposing forces.
2. equal balance between any powers, influences, etc.; equality of effect.
3. mental or emotional balance; equanimity.
4. a state or sense of steadiness and proper orientation of the body.
5. the condition existing when a chemical reaction and its reverse reaction proceed at equal rates.
[1600–10; < Latin aequilībrium=aequi- equi- + lībr(a) balance]
e•quil′i•bra•to`ry (ɪˈkwɪl ə brəˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i) adj.
1. Physics The state of a body or physical system that is at rest or in constant and unchanging motion. The sum of all forces acting on a body that is in equilibrium is zero (because opposing forces balance each other). A system that is in equilibrium shows no tendency to alter over time.
2. Chemistry The state of a reversible chemical reaction in which its forward and reverse reactions occur at equal rates so that the concentration of the reactants and products remains the same.
The state of a reversible chemical reaction at which the forward and backward reactions take place at the same rate
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||equilibrium - a stable situation in which forces cancel one another|
situation, state of affairs - the general state of things; the combination of circumstances at a given time; "the present international situation is dangerous"; "wondered how such a state of affairs had come about"; "eternal truths will be neither true nor eternal unless they have fresh meaning for every new social situation"- Franklin D.Roosevelt
balance - a state of equilibrium
balance of power - an equilibrium of power between nations
dynamic balance - (aeronautics) the state of equilibrium in which centrifugal forces due to a rotating mass (e.g., a propeller) do not produce force in the shaft and so vibration is reduced
homeostasis - (physiology) metabolic equilibrium actively maintained by several complex biological mechanisms that operate via the autonomic nervous system to offset disrupting changes
isostasy - (geology) a general equilibrium of the forces tending to elevate or depress the earth's crust
Nash equilibrium - (game theory) a stable state of a system that involves several interacting participants in which no participant can gain by a change of strategy as long as all the other participants remain unchanged
poise - a state of being balanced in a stable equilibrium
thermal equilibrium - a state in which all parts of a system are at the same temperature
disequilibrium - loss of equilibrium attributable to an unstable situation in which some forces outweigh others
|2.||equilibrium - a chemical reaction and its reverse proceed at equal rates|
acid-base balance, acid-base equilibrium - (physiology) the normal equilibrium between acids and alkalis in the body; "with a normal acid-base balance in the body the blood is slightly alkaline"
|3.||equilibrium - equality of distribution |
structure, construction - a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
conformation - a symmetrical arrangement of the parts of a thing
|4.||equilibrium - a sensory system located in structures of the inner ear that registers the orientation of the head|
proprioception - the ability to sense the position and location and orientation and movement of the body and its parts
1. stability, balance, symmetry, steadiness, evenness, equipoise, counterpoise For the economy to be in equilibrium, income must equal expenditure.
equilibrium[ˌiːkwɪˈlɪbrɪəm] n → equilibrio
a state of equal balance between weights, forces etc. ewewig تَوازُن равновесие equilíbrio rovnováha das Gleichgewicht ekvilibrium; ligevægt; balance ισορροπίαequilibrio tasakaal تعادل tasapaino équilibre שִׁיווּי מִשקָל साम्य ravnoteža egyensúly keseimbangan jafnvægi equilibrio 均衡 균형 pusiausvyra līdzsvars keseimbangan evenwichtlikevekt, balanserównowaga انډول توب، توازن، تعادل equilíbrio echilibru равновесие rovnováha ravnotežje ravnoteža jämvikt ความสมดุล denge, muvazene 均衡 рівновага جسمانی توازن trạng thái cân bằng 均衡
n. equilibrio, balance;
___ of blood consistency → ___ de consistencia sanguínea.