Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to equinoctial: equinoctial line, equinox, equinoctial system of coordinates, Equinoctial Points
1. Relating to an equinox.
2. Relating to the celestial equator.
1. A violent storm of wind and rain occurring at or near the time of the equinox.
2. See celestial equator.
[Middle English equinoxial, from Old French, from Latin aequinoctiālis, from aequinoctium, equinox; see equinox.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Astronomy) relating to or occurring at either or both equinoxes
2. (Botany) (of a plant) having flowers that open and close at specific regular times
3. (Astronomy) astronomy of or relating to the celestial equator
4. (Physical Geography) a storm or gale at or near an equinox
5. (Astronomy) another name for celestial equator
[C14: from Latin aequinoctiālis concerning the equinox]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
e•qui•noc•tial(ˌi kwəˈnɒk ʃəl, ˌɛk wə-)
1. pertaining to an equinox or the equinoxes, or to the equality of day and night.
2. pertaining to the celestial equator.
3. occurring at or about the time of an equinox.n.
5. a violent rainstorm occurring at about the time of an equinox.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a severe storm at sea, usually occurring near the equinox and mistakenly thought to be the result of the sun crossing the equatorial line.See also: Sea
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||equinoctial - the great circle on the celestial sphere midway between the celestial poles|
great circle - a circular line on the surface of a sphere formed by intersecting it with a plane passing through the center
|Adj.||1.||equinoctial - relating to the vicinity of the equator|
|2.||equinoctial - relating to an equinox (when the lengths of night and day are equal)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
equinoctial[ˌiːkwɪˈnɒkʃəl] ADJ → equinoccial
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj gales, tides → äquinoktial
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007